I used a large piece of grey parachute type fabric for my second set of drop crotch pants.It’s definitely synthetic as it will not tolerate ironing – even on a low heat. I picked it up as a remnant about a year ago from Rathdowne Fabrics in Brunswick, Melbourne.
I made a couple of changes to my blue cotton muslin set: I changed the pockets, cutting them deeper to be more generous and tying them into the waistband more significantly by extending the top of them to the closure at the front.
I stole the pocket pattern from the Bermuda Shorts in the same Burda magazine: Issue 5/2010 pattern 133.
Same front seam detail in the leg. Same welt pocket at the back.
I did add another 1/4″ to the inner legs on both front and back pattern pieces this time (total 1/2″inch total) as the first pair where tight on the calf. However in retrospect, the tight calf is key to the look of these pants and I think I will remove it again as they just look like baggy pants without.
I managed to get the welt seam pocket working in the back this time using Google as an instruction resource. This particular method required hand stitching the welt in place at the end which is certainly not as durable as the Burda method…it’s come apart already and will need restitching. It will hold my loose change however, unlike my previous version!
I’ll have to give the Burda method another go.
Again these pants are super comfortable and getting a lot of wear. The parachute fabric is very light and doesn’t drape as well as I anticipated resulting in a slightly more balloony crotch than a drop crotch which is not so flattering. I love the colour of these, but probably prefer my navy blue cotton muslin.
Pattern: Self drafted with help from Burda issue 5/2010 patterns 116 Sarouel trousers and 133 Bermuda Shorts